Reading and Writing a Review Assignment
In your WRITER’S notebook answer the following questions:
- What do we know about using and writing reviews?
- Do you use reviews in decision making- about movies, books, stores, or music?
- What type of items to you read reviews about?
- Do you ever write reviews? About what? Why? Explain.
- How else do you use the Internet to find out what is good, whether through social media, informal friend networks or other ways?
- How do reviews impact your decision making?
- Do you trust online reviews? Explain
- Do you and your parents use reviews on websites? For example, Yelp? Amazon? Shopping websites?
- Do you think a business owner should pay someone to write them a positive review? Explain.
- Do you think the government should continue to crack down on deceptive reviews on the Internet? Explain.
After we have read the article linked above, would you change any of your answers? Discuss with your table.
5 Tips for writing a great review:
1. Abandon the Obvious.
2. Take Pictures.
3. Write about the Interesting and Funny.
4. Don’t Hide Your Personality.
5. Re-Read Your Review befor you post.
BEFORE WE GO ON OUR FIELD TRIP TO DOWNTOWN:
Read this article:
In Mrs. Zerilli’s blog RESPOND (below) to this post about writing reviews. Your response must include:
- which restaurant you will be going to this Thursday?
- what do you think you may order?
- what qualities will you be looking for?
- what is important to you when enjoying a meal or a snack at a restaurant?
- Make a list of at least 8 adjectives that make food sound good.
1. Use the grid
2. Natural Light is best
3. Rule of thirds
4. Check your dish. Make sure it looks the best it can. Consider props.
5. Choose your angle.
Notice the 6 different ways to photograph these cookies.
TO TAKE WITH YOU ON OUR FIELD TRIP DOWNTOWN:
- Use the document linked here to take notes at your restaurant.
- Pencil or a pen
- Enough money to purchase your food and leave a tip if you are served by waitstaff.
- 15% and 20% Tip Table so that you can tip waitstaff accordingly.
- Camera (optional). Mrs. Zerilli will send two iPads with each chaperone.
AFTER WE RETURN FROM OUR FIELD TRIP DOWNTOWN:
- Write a rough draft and have a TAG conference. You will turn this in to Mrs. Zerilli.
- Post your review to YOUR blog. You should already have a category labeled: “Other Reviews.”
- Include a photo with your review and be sure you add a photo with a caption and giver credit to the photographer.
- Comment on THREE other review blog posts from anyone in YOUR class that went to DIFFERENT restaurants. Be sure ALL students in YOUR class have at least 2 comments.