Nov 19 2013

Rigor And My Learning

Published by under Learning

Cognitive rigor consists of knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation. These are all cognitive levels of learning. In school, much of these learning abilities are included in the curriculum. Sometimes we are taught at the same level while other times we are taught differently. In my school, we are educated in all of these areas. When we learn new vocabulary in biology and language arts, we often use our knowledge ability to remember and recall information. When we learn new methods in math, we often evaluate problems, apply ourselves to story problems, and comprehend methods. Also, when we learn about history, we use analysis skills and knowledge skills to remember and break up the historical events. Some classes ask students to process information at high levels because of the new information and concepts.  Knowledge is processed at higher levels when new methods are introduced. All of the core classes expect students to recall past knowledge and apply it to the present. As students advance throughout high school, they are introduced to higher levels. They are expected to comprehend, evaluate, and use other learning styles to succeed.

One rigorous assignment that I have completed was a project in which I had to design a school. This project included many of these cognitive learning styles because I had to recall information and experiment with the project. This assignment fell under all of Bloom’s taxonomy levels. My knowledge ability was used because I had to identify and recall the different parts of a school that is sure to be included. I’ve had to comprehend the meaning of a school and illustrate its importance. It was necessary to apply my learned material and develop a catalog that had multiple opportunities for students in all departments. I did an analysis that experimented and differentiated many parts of the school. I synthesized a bit with my school when I recognized problems and developed ways to solve them. Also, I evaluated by using my criteria to select a particular model/design that would best fit the school and its students.

Bloom’s taxonomy will help retain information because students can use cognitive skills to study in the best way possible. Students can use their knowledge to recall information. Comprehension can be used to understand concepts and methods. Applying oneself can be beneficial when one uses learned material and applies it to the present. An analysis can break down information to get a clearer understanding of a concept. Synthesizing is the ability to develop new ideas and thoughts that may benefit to one’s learning. Also, evaluation is when a student uses their criteria to select and method. A product that is useful to studying is a study group. This is considered a rigorous approach because one is using cognitive skills such as knowledge, analysis, synthesis, and comprehension. It is a way for students to express their thoughts and expand or recall their ideas.

Interesting Cognitive Learning Styles

No responses yet

No Responses to “Rigor And My Learning”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Rigor And My Learning | Niharika's Flex Blog - ...

Trackback URI | Comments RSS