Students as Learners and Teachers

Please reflect on the video A Brave New World-Wide Web we viewed together in class today as you respond to each of the following questions:

1. What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?
  2. What connections did you make to the experiences you’ve had teaching others?
  3. This video was intended to move the thinking of educators.  What did you take away from it?

Please add your responses to this post by clicking on the Responses button below.

Please note:  you have the choice of entering your responses as text, audio or video message.

Once you have posted your answers to each question, click Submit Comment to save your post.

51 thoughts on “Students as Learners and Teachers

Sometimes I have trouble with technology, but I play around with it and make it work.
    What connections did you make to the experiences you’ve had teaching others?
    Sometimes I help others understand technology.
    This video was intended to move the thinking of educators. What did you take away from it?
    Technology will help me learn more than textbooks can. I had never thought about that before.
    Kate

• @gtp1

What technology do you sometimes have trouble with, and how do you get over these problems? Can these problems help you learn more? If so, how?

• @kea1
      What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?

I made the connection that I use lots of that technology, but also realize now that I should have considered that when I posted.

Me too! I put that yeah, there’s roadblocks, high points, all that jazz. But I wan to know HOW you help others and maybe what you’ve run into or share specific experiences.

That’s a good response! I’m wondering about how it will help you learn.

LAUREN S.

• TO GTP1

I think that all of your info is correct. You made me think a little more about it and the video was completely right. It also made me think that your baseball example was very true. Really nice post. You helped me dig deeper.

• @kea1

1. How do you have troubles? explain more next time.
      2. Great work, but explain more.
      3. I totally agree with you, that is very true.

2. 1.What connections did you make to your own learning experiences? I connected when it said that learning can be done with technology and without technology. I agree with that. I find that some things are easier on paper and some things are easier with technology. That is the connection that I made.
    2.What connections did you make to the experiences you’ve had teaching others? A connection that I made is that using the internet is sometimes better since you learn more looking and finding resources.
    3.This video was intended to move the thinking of educators. What did you take away from it? I will take away that there is more stuff in the internet than you know that always keep looking cause there will always be something for me.

~HRS1~

• Hannah-

I liked how you thought about the different uses of technology and are able to say that-even if scientist try their hardest technology will not replace everything or be perfect. I believe that your opinion is a good one and that you agree even with its flaws the internet is very helpful.

What kind of website or evidence do you think is ‘for you’?

Do you think that the creator of the Brave New World Wide Web would agree with your ‘pencil and paper is sometimes needed/better’ approach?

Your comment made me think about the pros and cons of the internet which the video does not immediately bring to mind.
      Nice job posting!
      ECL2

3. 1.What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?
    The connections I made were from my everyday life, were how busy I am. There were tons of pages that the teacher looks at everyday and the same for me. I feel like I am so busy doing things to learn better that when I’m on the computer everything is popped up and messy (this also relates to how he said learning is messy).

2.What connections did you make to the experiences you’ve had teaching others?
    Some connections from teaching others that relate to the video are that kids like visuals. Whenever I am teaching something children like to see visuals or even have examples. The computer is a great way to provide visuals and so is used commonly for these things. Also Promethean boards are so fun for kids to play with that kids now love to present.

3.This video was intended to move the thinking of educators. What did you take away from it?
    I took from this video that there are a lot of resources in this world. That made me think of what would happen is SOPA and PIPA are passed. What would happen to the learning world if these laws are passed? It made me think of all the technology good and bad we use and some examples of that. When you walk down the halls kids are spread out working on laptops, iPods, iPads, Kindles, etc. What would someone from the past think of this? Would they be blown away? It would be interesting to see their reaction to something that we have had almost our whole lives and they are just being introduced to.

4. 1.What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?

I use technology everydaybut this video helped me release that i have a lot of connects because technology is how i learn most of the time. I am a user of a blog and wiki that help make my learning stonger each day.Technology is how i learn most of the time!

I have made peoples comments stonger and With the blog i am giving, I can teach other to let kids learn in new ways, different ways. I teach other that kids can do anything that they want to online.

I took away from this video the thought that we are very lucky to have all the technology we can have to use and learn from.I wish that other could connect to this video and start to open up to the world-wide-web,like my school has!

• kam10, I think that you did a very good job explaining your answer/opinion. If I were to rank you on the chart that we got, I would give you 4 out of 4 in effort. I say that you put a lot of time and effort in your post. I also think that the way that you looked at the question was cool. I never thought of it that way. I would give 4 out of 4 in achievement. I just would want to know… What would you add to the video that we watched? Great job!!!! 🙂

~Hannah~

5. 1. I used laptops in 3rd/4th grade and it was messy because I had to go on a website and answer a sheet full of questions so I had to multitask.
    2. In 4th grade when 3rd graders came we had to teach them how to use a laptop if they didn’t know how to.
    3. It inspired me to always believe and that sometimes technology isn’t always the best answer. Although technology isn’t the best answer it does help a lot.

6. What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?

I made connections because in the video they talked about blogs and wikis and I have used blogs and wikis. Another connection is that they think learning is messy and I think learning is messy too.

Some connections I can make to the experiences I have taught others is once I taught someone how to upload a picture on a wiki and they talked about pictures on wikis.

It made me take away from watching the video that sometimes people can learn in lots of different ways. Also that learning was way different from a long time ago.

• I like all your connections. I think they are good. Your connections repeat what they were saying in the video and I think that’s cool. I like your detail and your responses to the questions. Good job!

-Bella

7. When I saw first saw all the tech when I got to my new school, I just wanted to go back to the old paper and pencial agarithums. I soon learned that the web is a better place to learn things because its faster and is more updated. You can type faster than you can write. And you can write a paper with less grammer and spelling errors. I soon learned the internet was better than paper and an outdated text book.

On the computing i have tought people to load videos to the wiki. A connection I have with that is helping my friend, Reese load a video to youtube. It helped him get more views on our channel.

I learned that the computer does make a great textbook. And tech does really help teachers do there job the write way. It makes my life easier to just type out a document than write it out on paper. And word doc. has spell check so I dont get as many things wrong on homework. The internet is better.

• Reply:jackson (jec4)

I completly agree with you, the internet is better, I think they ment somthing else on the second question but overall you had the right idea. I think your responses could have been a little bit longer and more detailed but they were still good.

just sayin what I thought
      -Fin 😀

8. 1. What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?

I connected when the video said that “Technology sometimes doesn’t work.” I connect to this because my technology doesn’t work all the. From websites, to my Ipad and to laptops. Also I made a connection when they said that we can teach others. I connect to this because I have taught people things, many times before on how to do stuff on a computer.

Some connections I made were teaching people stuff on computers and teaching people things that aren’t on a computer. On the computer I have taught people how to make a new page and told them what to tag it. For teaching other things I have taught my brother how to play soccer and to play a certain game.

3. This video was intended to move the thinking of educators. What did you take away from it?

What I learned from this video is that information on the computer compared to a book is more accurate. I say this because the information is updated more in which it is pretty easy to update. For the book though it always stays the same. If you wanted to add something or get rid of something in a book you would have to make the book all over again.

-Bella

• I liked how you said that technology dosen’t always work. I also like how you said that we can also teach people with out technolog. I agree with you!

9. 1. I was able to make many connections to my own learning experience one is that I use computers and other devices every day. I always use computers to learn and also have fun so I can connect to using computers. I can also relate to teaching others with computers because we do it all the time in school. I also can teach others at home off of the computer.
    I took away a lot from the video including how learning online can help you a lot as a learner. I also learned that the internet is an important tool for learning. This made me think that everyone used the internet to learn and help others learn than everyone would be a lot smarter.
    -Leila O.

10. 1. What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?
    I use technology pretty much every day, But this video made me realize that i have a lot connections to this video and technology is how i learn most of the time. I have taught my parents lots of things in technology.
    I have teached my parents lots of stuff in technology. I make power points and word documents.
    I really liked this video it teaches kids like me, some stuff that technology is really nice.
    Shannon

• 1. What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?

Could you clarify this? I don’t get it.

Could you claify all this? I’m not sure I get it in the way you meant it.

LAUREN S.

• Great Writeing,SMS7! It looks like you put a lot of your time into your writing! What did this video connect to you? Do you like how this video was made?
      Great Job!,
      KAM10

11. I made a few connections to the video. One connection that I made was to contact experts via email to learn about my wonder. Another connection that I made was older people not liking technology at all. I made a few connections from me to the video.

I have made a few teaching connections from the video. One of the connections that I have is noticing how fast that the world’s technology is progressing. It also helped me realize that my grandparents didn’t have this, so it is hard to teach them. I made a significant amount of connections.

I took away a lot from this video as a student. One thing that I took away is that older people were not as lucky as us to get all this great technology. It made me appreciate myself and when I was born. Those are just a few things that I took away from this video as a student.

12. 1. mem10 Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    January 20th, 2012 at 5:05 p01 Reply
    I use technology every day, even if I am not in school. I make a lot of connections to this video because I blog and I am usually on the wiki too. I usually learn on technology, so this video has a lot of connections.
    I have posted things people need to know on the wiki and the blog so seeing these pictures made me realize what I am actually doing. I teach others with technology and am very lucky for that. I also try to let people know my thoughts on their posts like the comments.
    This video was very good and did move me because I have more use to technology then most people do. This video makes me ask if other classes learn like I do with technology.

13. The connections I made were that it reminded me how many blogs and web pages there are in the word. I think that connects to him because in his video, he showed us a lot of resources that he used. The connections I’ve made teaching others, that relate to his video is that when you help people do something new and different that they never worked with before, they get excited to work with it again. This relates to the video because he said learning is messy. This video was intended to move the thinking of educators. I learned from this video to take learning very far and try new things, especially related to technology.

14. The connections I made were that it had reminded me how many blogs and web pages there are in the word. I think that connects to him because in his video, he showed us a lot of resources that he used. The connections I’ve made teaching others, that relate to his video is that when you help people do something new and different that they never worked with before, they get excited to work with it again. This relates to the video because he said learning is messy. This video was intended to move the thinking of educators. I learned from this video to take learning very far and try new things, especially related to technology.

15. 1. What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?

That you learn not only from your classroom experience but, from all the technology that is available. Technology outside the classroom is a valuable tool to enhance what has been taught also, so you can find what others have experienced too by their blogs, wikis and social networking sites.

You have to use many different types of technology. Reading from a book and being spoken to all day by a teacher has become obsolete. To teach you must be able to guide others of where to go with the given technology to get the answers or research needed to complete an assignment.

That you have to think outside the box when learning is involved. Learning takes on many different forms not just in a classroom but from digital, print, blogging and so on. People learn differently and how a person learns best should be taken into consideration in the educational system.

16. 1. What connections did you make to your own learning experiences? That he posts videos like I’m am going to. He techs people and some of my articles tech people.

2. What connections did you make to the experiences you’ve had teaching others? That all of this is on the computer undo like other schools.

3. This video was intended to move the thinking of educators. What did you take away from it? That it’s teaching teachers about technolongy.

• ALM4-
      Nice connections, I like how your perspective was a Text-To-Self type. It changed my thinking about all the types of connections people can make. It also makes me think of how I relate to this video.
      Could you go deeper than just stating that it teaches teachers about technology?
      What does this video mean to you?
      What type of technology does this video talk about?
      Do you think that BCS is the only school that is showing these videos or do other schools also do this?
      What was your personal favorite part of this film? Why?
      Nice job!
      ECL2

• Anna(BB) for your first answer I like that you referenced to your self that you post videos and teach, but he didn’t just make a video he made a video with meaning. Next time try to explain that meaning

For your second answer I think you need a lot more detail to back up what your saying you just said our school has computers and not other schools. Well that is not true you should maybe some schools in Africa don’t have computer, but next time be more specific

For your last answer it was teaching teacher but can we learn from the video. Think about that.

17. What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?
    That technology you can learn from you can teach others. You can learn on a website because they might tell you how to type, write, and read. etc.
    What connections did you make to the experiences you’ve had teaching others? Well teaching others can be a good way but technology can show you or explain to you from a website that was made by a kid that might understand what I am trying to tell them better than I can.

This video was intended to move the thinking of educators. What did you take away from it? If word document spell checks you then how do you learn from that?

By Caroline P.

18. 1.What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?

I made the connection that I use lots of technology that Dave mentions, at home and in school.

I made the connection that yeah, learning’s messy. Yeah, there might be a few roadblocks. But yeah, learning through technology is better than a worksheet.

That I should really appreciate the fact that I can use this technology and some teachers don’t fully use the wonderful gifts

• Dear LGS2,
      I feel like you put time on these questions. How do you use the internet at school and at home? How can you really connect to the video? How is technology a gift? How is it so special? Those are some of the questions you could answer. I loved how your answers were different from mine and it gave me something else to think about!
      -MSR2

19. 1. What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?

I used this video to help me realize that my everyday life consist of technology, in and out of school. I use technology in other ways students cannot in other school and learn everyday from it. If I use technology more, I could open new doors to lead me to a new learning, and to the world.

Some connects I made are that when you teach something, it should be fun, and give you knowledge, and help you learn. I think that the world-wide-web is a great place to help kids learn from, give examples and show demonstrations with one click of a button. I try to use the internet to show the examples that I am trying to teach

I took away the knowledge that the world-wide-web is like a big knowledge book, stuffed with information, waiting for kids to use it. Technology can help with many things and can inform many people about things that are happening over the world in seconds. Technology was created to help teachers, and some people would like teachers to use the technology that they are given more!

20. 1. What connections did you make to your own learning experiences? The connections I made with my own learning experiences with this video are it made me think “Teachers from all over the world talk to each other and share what they are doing?”

2. What connections did you make to the experiences you’ve had teaching others? The connections I made with the experiences I have teaching others are teaching others to use technology in a different way.

3. This video was intended to move the thinking of educators. What did you take away from it? This video inspired me to think and use technology in a different way.

21. ■Is the message here really about technology? Or more about how we, as learners & teachers, use technology to connect with, learn from and help teach others?

I think that it was about connecting and sharing with eachother; if it was about technology it would have just said what we can do with technology.

■What impression does your spelling, grammar and word choice offer our readers?

If I have lots of grammatical errors, many spelling mistakes, and bad word choice then people would think that I was not putting in eough effort or that I was not educated correctly.

22. @ KAM10 I like what you said and I agree with you and you put in a lot of detail I like it you really are with the questions. Fromm Caroline P.

23. 1.What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?
    I connected with how the internet was always so easy and organized to use. Students can learn a lot using technology.
    One connection I made was that even though you’re the one teaching, you can also learn from it.
    I think I understand how technology is great. I think we can always still use pencil and paper though!

24. 1.What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?
    A connection I made was that I think technology can be a better way sometimes.

One connection I made was that you can always learn more and do better, because nothing is perfect.

I personally think that if you enjoy paper, use it. If you like typing, do that. Just do what’s comfortable.

25. What connections did you make to your own learning experiences?
    Sometimes I help others understand technology. This video was intended to move the thinking of educators.
    . What did you take away from it?
    I will take away that there is more stuff in the internet than you know that always keep looking cause there will always be something for me.

26. 1.What connections did you make to your own learning experiences? Today we use a lot of technology in all are classes like we type up documents a stuff like that.

Actually I’ve had a lot of expirences I help my little brother with technology.

I think the author of the vid should make the same one but for kids.

27. Greetings from the suburbs of Vancouver, Canada. I’ve returned here after spending 2 years in Dalian, China. Which just goes to show you how much our world is shrinking… just 5 years ago I never would have believed that I would move to China with my whole family and live and work in a country like China.

I think it is wonderful that your classes looked at my video and thought about it as both learners and teachers. It is also great that one of the main things I got from reading your comments is that many of you understand that ‘Learning is Messy’! Why do I think this is great? Well, because most grown-ups worry too much about making mistakes and so they fear trying something new… So they can learn something from you!

Often we learn the most when we make mistakes and if we celebrate that idea, and if we aren’t afraid of learning being messy, well then we have a great opportunity to learn more than someone who worries about making mistakes in the first place. Enjoy teaching each other. Try new things, and teach your teachers a few things along the way since they like to be messy learners too! 🙂

I’ll end with a quote that I put at the end of all my emails. It is a reminder to be respectful before I hit ‘send’ or ‘post’ or ‘submit comment’. Do you have a favourite quote?

“Think good thoughts. Say good words. Do good Deeds.”